The first step in creating a website that really WORKS for your business is being as clear as possible as to WHO your audience is.
When you target everyone, you target no one.
The most important reason to create personas is that when you target everyone, you actually target no one. Depending on your industry, you may serve multiple personas; that’s absolutely fine.
WHY BUYER PERSONAS ARE CRITICAL TO INTERNET MARKETING
Buyer personas help determine:
- Your website navigation.
- The design and layout of your website.
- Images you choose for your website and blog posts.
- The type of content your audience will relate to best.
- What social media platforms are best for your business.
- When are where to promote your content.
|“A major virtue of personas is the establishment of empathy and understanding the individual who uses the product.”|
Information needed to develop buyer personas
It is always a good idea to create three to four personas to represent your customers; make enough to cover the majority of your customers. Some companies even go so far as to create cardboard cutouts of their “buyers.”
1. Name For This Persona
2. Job Title
- Details about where they work (size, type, etc.)
- Details about their role at work
- Location: urban / suburban / rural
4. Goals / Challenges
- Primary goal
- How you can help them with their primary goal
- Secondary challenge
- How you can help them with their secondary challenge
5. Miscellaneous (yet very important)
- Computer literacy
- Where they get their news
- Blogs they read
How to find the information needed for your buyers personas:
- Interview your best customers
- Survey all your customers (Survey Monkey is a great tool for this)
- What do unhappy customers complain about?
- Involve your staff
- Social media
- Google analytics can provide a wealth of information
9 steps to profiling buyer personas – Peter Sandeen
Hopefully, this article helped you create a website that WORKS for your business.
If you have any questions or comments, you can drop me a line here.
If you would like to receive more tips to get the most from your website, sign up here.
Have a superb day!